[thechat] Replacement of Marshmallows

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Fri Feb 7 15:41:01 CST 2003

From: "Erik Mattheis"
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: February 07, 2003, Friday 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: [thechat] Replacement of Marshmallows

> >> Don't tell me you can make nuclear bombs but not
> >> smores over there!
> >
> > How do you relate 'smores' with 'nukes'?
>
> It was a joke. Smores are simple to make. Nukes are difficult to make.

I got the point! Amusing!

> > I think yes! We have Samosas, Pakoras,
>
> What are these two things? In the West a samosa is an alcoholic drink
> of champagne and orange juice, commonly served at fancy weekend
> brunches, and particularly popular among homosexuals.

Such lingo coincidence is horrible for me but *lingo coincidence* is not
unexpected. While writing "Samosas, Pakoras" I was thinking about possibility of
these words in other cultural environments with different meanings.
Samosas are triangular shaped spicy things. You can call them Pakistani Pizzas
although they don't have any direct relation to pizzas. But you can eat them
like pizzas.

-------
Recipe of Samosa
-------

Take finely grind flour. To get such flour, go to any shop of Pakistani-American
and ask him for "Maidaa". Such flour is called Maidaa in Urdu. Take some of it
in a small pot and add some water. Mix it like that flour which is prepared for
Buns and Burgers. I don't know what do you call this process. Prepare the flour
in a bit hard form. Take some prepared flour and make a circular thin bread.
Divide it into two semi-circles by cutting it from it's diameter. Take one
piece. Put it in front of you, directing the circular part towards you. Make a
cone of it with its point on its straight side.
Boil some potatoes. Peel them and mash them into small 1cm * 1cm (approx.)
pieces. Add red chilli powder and salt according to your taste. Cut some green
chilli in them. Add some coriander seeds. You can add them in grinded form also.
Mix all these ingredients. Fill the cone of flour with them and close the
circular end of the cone. It will start looking like a triangle. Roast this
triangle in cooking oil. Don't make them too red while roasting. Eat with
mustard. Put in Buns or Burgers for additional taste.

-------
Recipe of Pakora
-------

Take some flour of grams. To get such flour, go to any shop of
Pakistani-American and ask him for "Bay-son". Such flour is called Bay-son in
Urdu. Add some water in it and prepare a very light fluid type of mixture. Cut
some potatoes, onions and green chillies. Add red chilli powder and salt
according to your taste. Add some coriander seeds. You can add them in grinded
form also. Mix all these ingredients. Take a table spoon of this mixture and put
it in boiling cooking oil. Take some more table spoons of this mixture and put
them in same oil with some distances between them. Roast them to make red from
all sides. Eat with mustard.

I have asked you to go to the shops of Pakistani-Americans particularly because
they will understand you when you ask them above mentioned flours using Urdu
words. Don't forget to tell them that you are using Urdu words.

Don't forget to share your experience in TheChat if you try these two recipes.

Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/