[thechat] Getting closer

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Sat Feb 8 16:41:07 CST 2003

Tara,

> The real question is how many people wanted war before the
> propaganda machine started.

Well put! It's just sad that so many people forget what they thought
before the propaganda started and it's even more saddening that people
can't tell the difference between propaganda and what is not propaganda.

Unfortunately many people are fooled by things like two pretty photos,
one with cars and the one without cars (I was told that it was pretty
much what Powell did... was it? I didn't see Powell in front of UN with
my own eyes, unfortunately).

> I seem to remember (and I could be wrong) that it *wasn't* 50%.
> The US government decided they wanted
> a war way long before the people did. Then they decided to throw
> out as much propaganda as possible to convince them.

Makes me sick.

> It's sickening to watch the US news stations. Here in Canada I
> get Canadian news, BBC World and all of the major US news
> stations. The US broadcasts seem like utter fiction when compared
> to news from elsewhere. It is incredible to see the spin and
> propaganda spilling out from the TV screen.

It's the same with written media (or parts of it, anyway) in the States.
I sometimes read what CNN has to say and then I watch BBC World...
totally different pictures, as far as I can see. BBC is a lot more
critical towards poor evidence and dares to question the information
that they are given, but CNN throws "news" as the absolute truth.

It is very obvious that Bush has decided to go to war. Isn't congress
supposed to demand evidence for themselves and the people before they
approve any plans?

> I just hope (without much hope) that the American people can see
> what is propaganda and try to glean some semblance of the truth
> from all of the misinformation they are being fed.

As you, I also hope. But I'm 95% sure that the next time people go
voting to fill the seats of congress, most of them won't take into
account that they didn't agree with their congressman giving the "ok"
for war. If people would think of that, things would change and be the
way they should be in a democratic country, but there is little chance
in that happening.

Thanks,
Lauri