[thechat] Getting closer

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Feb 8 16:41:47 CST 2003

On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 08:36 AM, Lauri Vain wrote:
> Democracy is about doing what people in a country want

... and governmental transparency. Moreover, in a Democracy, the people
_are_ the government.

The Bush administration is brazenly secretive, both towards the people
and other branches of government ... and most Bush supporters I talk to
are OK with the secrecy, so don't really understand Democracy, and most
of the Bush supporters I hear from in the Media sidestep the issue or
spout poppycock or confidently cite judicial "precedents" that are now
generally looked upon as wrong and embarrassing.

> You absolutely CAN NOT claim "we elected them,

Hear, hear!

> If you want to make a point, then make a valid statement (the problem
> is
> that "I don't want to go to war, so the United States of America
> shouldn't go to war" does not carry the weight you would be wishing
> for).

If the Bush Administration wants to make a point, then they should make
a valid statement (the problem is that "We want to go to war, so the
United States of America should go to war" does not carry the weight
they would be wishing for).

When you put that twist on your observation, Tony's statement makes a
lot of sense.
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>