[thechat] War of a different kind...

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Sun Feb 9 17:01:00 CST 2003

Forget the war on Iraq... it's World Cup time!

For those who don't know, the Cricket World Cup
(http://www.cricketworldcup.com/) started overnight (Australian time).

I'm guessing I'm not the only person on thechat who is, shall we say,
rather excited about the prospect. I know that I, for one, will be
losing a lot of sleep over the next few weeks due to the unfortunate
time zone difference between South Africa and here. Australia's first
game is against Pakistan on Tuesday night, but at least I won't be
the only one at work staying up late to watch that one.

I only saw the last hour-and-a-half of the first match but, if that's
anything to go by, we're in for a treat. That was some truly great
cricket, not least because I love seeing the West Indies win a big
one like that. They've been out of it a bit too long but, when in form,
they're still great to watch.

I'm not sure who to tip for this... obviously, Australia are red-hot
favourites, but tipping the favourites is no fun, so I won't do that.
I was tempted to put some money on New Zealand back when they were
paying 10-1, but now they've come in sharply so I can't be bothered.
Perhaps India? I don't know. So many sides other than Australia and
South Africa have great depth of talent, but are so inconsistent that
you can't reliably tip them... so in other words, I don't know.

No, there's no real point to this. I just thought I'd share...

Paul