[thechat] Getting closer

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Feb 9 17:44:01 CST 2003

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 05:11  PM, John Handelaar wrote:
>> Mutual assured destruction was the theory behind the Cold War - and
>> the
>> Cold War was won without firing a shot.
>
> More propaganda.  In fact NATO operated a first strike
> policy from about 1964 onwards.  Google for a half-decent
> definition of 'NATO and 'flexible response' ' for details.

The definition I see as most complete from the first 10 google results
is

<http://www.nuclearfiles.org/strategy/flexible.html>

... which says it originally meant that Eisenhouer thought Nukes gave
more bang for the buck, but around the year you cite, it changed to
mean a greater presence of conventional forces in Europe in order to
diminish the US's need for nuclear escalation and satisfy European
allies at the same time.

Maybe I should be pointed to another link?

And where is the propaganda? In MAD? That the Cold War was won without
firing a shot?

Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>