[thechat] Fireflys Was: Replacement of Marshmallows

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:10:01 CST 2003

I agree about the fire-flys but you know I was blown away once on the
NW CA coast on a misty night under the redwood fronds, sporadic tiny
but intense green glows.. it was after a spring rain and everything
was moist... and I took a flashlight and dug down and they were
little black and yellow grubs, glow worms!  So tiny yet so bright!

and also in the summer time at night, there are tides that bring out
phosphorescent organisms and it will be dark and the waves are
crashing with this green glow... and you can walk in the wet and and
the pressure activates these little glow bugs and every footprint
glows with green specks for several seconds after you take a step...

phosphorescence -- it is like stumbling upon magic.

Erika