[thechat] The Death of Democracy...

Elfur Logadottir elfur at members.evolt.org
Fri Feb 14 10:22:00 CST 2003

| > While I think you're right, how is this different from
| > intent, as used to differentiate murder from manslaughter? Or
| > conspiracy?
|
| As far as I understand it, homicide can be divided into four categories:
| premeditated and voluntary, spur of the moment and voluntary, spur of
| the moment and involuntary, and accidental. In the first two cases it is
| not the thoughts themselves that are taken into account, it is the
| manner in which the thoughts are implemented. Premeditation implies that
| actions are taken prior to the event. Actions *are* and should be
| punishable. It is the lack of actions in the second case that lead to it
| being less serious (in law). In the third case (as I understand it) the
| death is accidental, *but* duuring the commision of a crime against the
| victim. Thus, again it is the surrounding actions that are taken into
| account. However, IANAL ;)

and with the accidental part comes the notion that bonus pater (a good and
just man) should have realized that his actions would cause the
consequences, and since all people should behave as bonus pater, all people
should have realized it, and are therefore held accountable.

now IANAL either .... yet
but will be, soon.

elfur