Seriously Single (was [thechat] boyfriend application)

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 10:04:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Anderson" <neuro at well.com>

> One thing that piqued my interest were these
> dating club bar event things where you get like 30 seconds with someone of
> the required sex (depends on which way you lean obviously) and this
happens
> with loads of people, then you pick who you'd like to meet up with
seriously
> and ta-da, instant relationship.  The only problem was that it piqued my
> interest for about 0.3 seconds, then I realised "what a fscking stupid way
> to meet people" :)

Actually, I don't think it is. It's called Speed Dating and I think you get
eight minutes with each person on your dance card, plus there's a bar bit
after. At the end of the night, you tick your card with the people you'd be
interested in seeing again, and if their card says the same, the dating
service hooks you up.

In theory, I like this idea quite a bit as I'm into efficiency and I can
generally tell within 60 seconds of meeting someone if there's a snowball's
chance in Hell that I'll ever be attracted to them.  Also, I perform well
under pressure and tend to be attracted to people who do, too, so for *me*
there's a natural pre-selection process that works to my advantage there.

They also do it by age group, professional groupings, religion... loads of
things. I think it's a neat concept.

> Then again ... Seriously Single ... sounds like a condition.  "Quick, this
> man needs an IV of bint, stat!"

I am all about the pithy titles. I have a friend who refers to her husband
as Panadol Boy. I *so* love that. Of late, SharkyDom, DodgyCityType, Posh
Boy, ApplePop, and Ghastly Estuary have all crossed my path (and been
crossed off my list.) In a year, I won't remember their names but I'll
remember who they were by their (dis)honorific titles.

Although hopefully I'll no longer give a toss because I'll be blissfully
coupled with someone delightful.

--Sabrina