[thechat] s/blogger/movable type/g

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Feb 18 00:06:00 CST 2003

Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:
> [...]

Personally, I (heart) Blogger.  I stumped up for some Blogger stickers when
they were on a funding drive.  I was one of the first Blogger Pro customers.
But I simply couldn't be arsed with traipsing to blogger.com to do my
entries, coupled with a nasty piece of network design on my part meant that
a blog entry took place thus: visit blogger.com, go to edit page, type in
entry, post, publish, ssh into web server, run ~neuro/bin/fetchblog to rsync
blog entries from ftp server to web server (yes, my web server and ftp
server were, and still are, distinct entities from each other).

Alternately, I can log into my blog, make an entry, publish it and it's
bloody well done.  So as much as I do love Blogger, I love MT more.  In
saying that, I'll definitely be tracking Blogger and Pyra over the coming
weeks/months, and if they come up with something as groundbreaking as
Blogger all over again, I'll undoubtedly be one of the first in line to
play.

> [snip]
>
> My host (who is a total doll)

If I said that about my host, I'd have some serious issues (I am my own web
host!)

> installed the CPAN modules and I paid the
> wonderful and efficient Trotts $20 to install MT for me. Works great,
> haven't touched it since.

Hmmm, charging for MT installs ... I know MT themselves do it, but I wonder

> Now that's how to build a blogging community!

... and that's how to build a lucrative business!  "Yes sir, I'm just
installing your Movable Type install now ..." [hits keys at random on
unplugged keyboard to make "i'm busy" noise, while surfing mefi and slurping
on a big gulp, with customer not realising install was done 2 hours ago]

muhahahaha ... muhahahahahahahaha ... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

... there really should be medication for megalomaniac syndrome ...

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like