[thechat] Grammies

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Feb 25 10:55:04 CST 2003

Alan McCoy wrote:
> :: Yay! Avril Lavigne didn't win squat!
>
> Avril who? Her PR folk keep touting her as the "anti-Britney" when they
> should be calling her the "P¡nk clone".
>
> :: I think many people are still saying "Norah who?"
>
> I think the Norah sweep will hopefully open the door for a lot of lo-fi,
> chill-out artists (like Air, Zero7, etc.) to get some well deserved props.
> Too bad Beth Orton didn't have an album out in the running. She could've
> taken on Norah Jones in a cage match!

Daybreaker should have been eligible.  I just think she doesn't have a
high enough profile in the US.  It seems that most of the people I
introduce Beth Orton to have never heard of her before.  And while I
like Daybreaker, I think that Central Reservation was better grammy
material.

> Glad to see they did a tribute to Joe Strummer...warmed my 80's punk heart.

Yeah, a star-studded tribute that didn't suck.  I was impressed.  Bruce
Springsteen grimaces to musically.

Judah