[thechat] what is this thing anyway?

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Wed Feb 26 16:22:01 CST 2003

On Wed February 26 2003 2:33 pm, Quackamoe wrote:
> "Heat a 12" deep Dutch oven using 18-20

The 12-inch is the diameter, there are several styles of DO's. A 12-inch deep
is usually used for things like a turkey where you need the additional depth
to get a nicely browned bird without overcrowding it.

When Judah wrote about putting the oven in the oven, well there are two styles
of DO's -- the stovetop and/or oven variety
(https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.asp?idProduct=2780) and then
the footed ones meant for open fire cooking
(https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.asp?idProduct=2821&menu=Outdoor)

Regular 12-inch DO: This oven is 12" in diameter, 3.75" deep, and holds 6
quarts.

12-inch deep: This oven is 12" in diameter, 5" deep, and holds 8 quarts.

One rule of thumb on temperature in a DO when using charcoal briquettes --
diameter of the oven x 2. Put more on top as on the bottom (so a 12-inch DO
would have 24 briquettes, 18 on top and 6 on the bottom to bring the DO to
350-degrees. Adjust as needed for temperature, humidity, elevation.

Then there's the +/-3 rule which means a 12-inch DO would have 9 on the bottom
and 15 on top to reach 350-degrees.

Dang, I just gotta get out camping, this talk of dutch ovens is making me
hungry and they just don't want me starting a fire in the backyard here --
I've been told the landlord gets a bit upset over that. And charcoal grills
are against the rules too . . . 8(