[thechat] Asian Salad Dressing

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 27 13:10:01 CST 2003

Okay, Madhu and the rest of you. This is the salad dressing that most
closely matches most every Japanese restaurant-style dressing I've tasted

1/2 oz  ginger root
1/4 med onion -- cut in quarters
3/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c vinegar
1/2 c soy sauce
1 tsp tomato paste (I use ketchup instead)
1/8 lemon -- juiced
1 tsp garlic -- minced
1/2 c water

Soak ginger root in cold water for a few minutes before removing outer skin.
Remove skin and cut in chunks. Combine all ingredients in food processor
with steel blade and blend until smooth. Refrigerate.

Often in Japanese restaurants this dressing is served over finely shredded
cabbage along with the lettuce and other salad ingredients. This is the
salad dressing served at the Mitsukoshi Restaurant at EPCOT Center.