[thechat] cooked carrots (was: what is this thing anyway?)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Feb 27 14:08:00 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 01:50  PM, Madhu Menon wrote:
> Fish sauce stuff? Fish sauce is a very Thai ingredient, unlikely to be
> used
> in a Cantonese kitchen.

Perhaps so, but all the SE Asian restaurants here serve it.

> The dipping sauce has carrots in it? Don't know about that one then.

It's pretty much as I described it, am sure the ingredients include
vinegar, fish sauce and sugar ... then the carrots and onions floating
in it ... am just not sure of the proportions, but seems it would be
easy to get it approximately right.
> Eh? 'ang on. Did you say "clear" rice noodles? Don't think so. Most
> rice
> noodles are an opaque white. Perhaps you are thinking of "glass
> noodles" or
> bean thread noodles (same thing), which are made from mung beans. They
> are
> also more suited for soups.

Ah, yes, that is what I meant: glass noodles/bean thread noodles. I
have indeed come up with a sticky mess ... forgive me for not knowing
what I was cooking, but it's easy to become confused when the product
labels are in a language I can't read!
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>