Texas Weather ... was RE: [thechat] Error 404: Cannot find...

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Feb 27 16:15:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 03:09  PM, Madhu Menon wrote:
> In cities where this icing happens more often, how is the local economy
> affected when businesses shut down? Anyone care to share their
> experiences?
> I live in a tropical country where I have to visit the mountains to
> see any
> snow.

Although I don't complain about the cold like most Minnesotans, as a
person who owns a car but prefers to walk, I have unique troubles. The
obvious one: sidewalks are icey all winter. It's the responsibility of
the property owner to keep the sidewalk clean and they can be fined if
they don't but that's not enforced.

What IS enforced are the parking rules for snow emergencies. And as I
only use my car about once a week, it's hard to keep track of where
it's parked ... that on top of the Kafkaesque parking rules makes it a
headache: <http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/snow/>. Most people budget
for being towed or fined at least once per winter.

The "What is a Parkway?" FAQ was so confusing it was a metafilter post
last year ... they've simplified the page by just listing the parkways.
But there are still some paved vehicle conduits called "XXXXX Parkway"
that are not parkways.

Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>