[thechat] Handling a knife like a pro (was: Cooked carrots)

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 07:34:01 CST 2003

  This is the type of cleaver I have, the big square bladed one.
I got it about 15 years ago when I was taking a Chinese cooking
class. It doesn't fit in our block, but I have been meaning to
make a block out in the shop so that I can customize it for all
my knives of various shapes and brands. I keep the cleaver in
the original box in a drawer since my SO is a (self described)
clutz. She has her own little set of dull knives that she uses
rather than use mine.
  Has anyone sharpened their big square cleaver? Mine is not as
sharp as I like it. I have a lot of experience sharpening wood
working and turning tools, but I would like to know what your
experiences have been. I have some waterstones that I have used
in the past on other knives and oil stones.
  Thanks, Roger