Texas Weather ... was RE: [thechat] Error 404: Cannot find...

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Fri Feb 28 08:59:01 CST 2003

> Madhu Menon asked:
> >>In cities where this icing happens more often, how is the local economy
> >>affected when businesses shut down? Anyone care to share their
> >> experiences?

They don't shut down often or for long -- but stores tend to sell more
de-icing products, snow shovels and snow throwers as well as window scrapers
for vehicles.

Then, there are the snow plow drivers -- a friend of mine counts on driving
the plow every winter whether he's salting intersections or salting and
plowing - if it storms on a Saturday night, he gets triple overtime and pays
for the family vacation that year.

In central Illinois which is subjected to more ice storms than Chicago, power
lines may go down from the ice (in which case the mom-and-pop stores use
hand-written receipts to take your money while the big chain stores can't
function without their computerized registers), but that doesn't really last
long. Things may slow down for a few hours or a day even, but it's not a big
economic hit.

Actually, in climates that expect snow, our economy is set up for the weather.