[thechat] ugh ugh WTC

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 14:56:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judah McAuley"

> Of course many people think its ugly.  That's
> because its challenging.

No, sweets, that's because it's fucking hideous :)

> This competition was started because the
> previous designs were all boring, boxy office buildings.

I was fine with that. The last thing I want in that spot is a
spectacle-by-design. The location itself is enough of a spectacle. I don't
see a need to create Little Dubai downtown.

> NY wanted
> something that would be a landmark, not a big box.  They got it.

I don't understand that statement. Who is "NY"? I'm a New Yorker; I was born
and raised in Manhattan. The most important thing to me was that the winning
design have some dignity. Instead, we have a futuristic Disneyworld. How
revolting. How crass. How offensive.

These buildings don't exist in isolation, you know. New Yorkers have to live
with these things. And what's so, so ironic is that the WTC? It was ugly. It
blemished lower Manhattan. It cast shadows across the island for MILES.

I seriously fear we didn't learn one damn thing from all of this. In the
political, cultural and architectural landscape of America, I see little
evidence to the contrary. I can't tell you how sad that makes me.

--Sabrina
Prurient: http://www.satinslippers.com  (NSFW!)
Prudent: http://www.darlingbri.co.uk