[thechat] Handling a knife like a pro (was: Cooked carrots)

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Sun Mar 2 09:32:00 CST 2003

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 02:13  PM, Quackamoe wrote:
>  When I was stationed in
> Misawa, Japan back when I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe
> Club** I picked up a knife that I absolutely loved.
> It was kinda clever like, blade was about the same
> length as this one, but the width(depth) was only
> about 1 3/4". I used it for years but it's been gone
> for years too. I didn't know how to take care of it or
> sharpen it or anything. So, does anybody know what I'm
> talking about?

It's either an usuba or a santuko:

Usuba:
http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/
Bunmei_Yoshikin_1802180mm_7_inch_Usuba_Knife.html

Santuko
http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/
Kasumi_Sumikama_84018_180mm_7_inch_Damascus_Santuko_Knife.html

The Kasumi knives look awesome. Apparently they're really nice, but
I've never held one. They can be had on ebay for less than what you see
above.

bob