[thechat] Stupidity should be cured, says DNA discoverer

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Mar 2 20:18:00 CST 2003

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 07:04  PM, David Wagner wrote:
> Panspermia is a cute idea that evades the question of the origin of
> life.
> Organized complexity must come from somewhere, and to say that it
> originates
> in another form of organized complexity is a little silly.

That idea that Earth is a unique, special place was proven wrong by
Copernicus in the fourteenth century, and I holding on to that idea for
half a millennium is a little silly!

What you're referring to is "directed panspermia", in other words, the
intentional seeding of life throughout the universe. It's based on the
notion that DNA based life is not only complexly organized, but also an
intelligently designed system. To me, it takes more faith to believe
that life generated itself on Earth than to believe it was first
generated in one of a million (billion?) (trillion?) other places and
somehow spread.

Here's another interesting google search:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=amino+acids+comets>

> Since the original subject of this thread was stupidity, I shall
> temporarily
> define it as "beating a dead horse", point the finger at myself, and
> once
> again recommend that all thinking persons read "The Blind Watchmaker"
> before
> citing creation myths in public.

Haven't read it ... however panspermia is a theory, not a myth.

For my next trick, I will now prove Einstein wrong ,,, er, I'l let
someone else do it:
<http://www.newtonphysics.on.ca/faq/invalidation.html>
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital