[thechat] New Taste Treat

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Fri Mar 7 07:34:01 CST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 07:28  AM, Chris Marsh wrote:

> Ron
>
>> I just heard about this this morning,
>>
>> There is a restaurant up in College Station, (home to Texas
>> A&M University and a little bit North of Houson), that has
>> started offerering a wonderful new taste sensation:
>>
>> Chicken Fried Bacon!
>
> I've wondered this for years, but never been bothered to ask. What does
> the qualifier "chicken fried" mean in both technical (cooking
> instructions) and non-technical (taste) terms?

If you put fried chicken coating (batter) on anything and fry it
(fryilator or big cast iron skillet with a tub of crisco in it), then
it's chicken fried.  I think, As far as I can tell, that's it.

It's delicious. Chicken Fried Steak is (or, rather, can be) a wonderful
thing. Pounded out like a Wiener Scnnitzel, fried all crispy, with
mashed potatoes and gravy. It's very good.

>> ... Naturally, all orders come with a side of gravy.      ;-)
>
> With reference to the above, why would gravy be natural to serve with
> chicken fried * ?

Because it's just not chicken fried * without white gravy. Kind of a
bechamel with lots of pepper. I'm not 100% sure of what it is. Again -
delicious. It makes the whole thing come together.

By the way - yesterday was the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo.

bob
(who lives in San Antonio, TX)