[thechat] Tony Swofford "Jarhead"

Chris Evans chris at unhappyfun.com
Wed Mar 12 13:34:46 CST 2003

Erika Meyer wrote:
> http://www.lclark.edu/dept/collcomm/tonyswofford.html
>
> This is an adjunct prof here at Lewis and Clark College.  He is in his
> early 30's, was a Marine in the Gulf War.  His dad was in Vietnam, his
> grandfather WWII.
>
> His memoir is receiving some amazing reviews by publications the New
> York Times, etc being favorably compared to books like "Catch 22."
>
> I'm waiting for my colleagues to finish the book so I can read it.
>
> Erika

The review in Newsweek was interesting. If I remember correctly, the
review was comparing a couple of books about the Gulf War.  "Jarhead",
if I remember correctly, was pretty straightforward, not apologetic or
political.  It seemed like a memoir from the trenches from, well, a
jarhead rather than an academic.  Sounds like it might be a worthwhile
read, especially in light of the current situation.

on a related note, it looks like some Iraqi soldiers are already trying
to surrender:
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=12715943&method=full&siteid=106694/

---
Chris Evans