[thechat] contract work rant

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Mar 13 14:19:56 CST 2003

At 01:26 AM 14-03-03, Erika Meyer wrote:

>none of us are lawyers.

Speak for yourself. One of my multiple personalities is a hot shot lawyer.
I've never met him, but his voice whispers to me inside my head. La dee da...

>but...
>
>I thought she said she did it for free?

Did she? I dunno. I read this line:
"I do coding for a small, local web shop and she does o.k., pays promptly, "

The "pays promptly" part I took to mean that she got paid for this one too.
Perhaps I'm wrong.

>The problem is, it gets really sticky when you work for the same company
>as an employee and as a contractor.  Or so I'm told.  IRS gets very weird
>about that.

Abbey appears to be a full-time contractor. She said something about not
having to find "a real job".

>Don't work for free!

+100.

MadMan