[thechat] Contradicting Cliches

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 15:23:59 CST 2003

Every once in a while we'll start a topic on a white
board in Chuck's* cubicle and anybody can pick up a
marker and contribute. The most recent topic was, as
mentioned in the subject line, Contradicting Cliches.
Chuck, who is quite familiar with thechat, asked if I
would post the topic and see if you all could take
this any further. So here it is.

Terry

* Chuck is the one I've referred to as our alpha geek
  and is the one who said he'd heard Trekkie is
  deprecated.

The Cliches:

   =====
   Many hands make light work.
   ---
   Too many cooks spoil the broth.
   =====

   =====
   Look before you leap.
   ---
   He who hesitates is lost.
   =====

   =====
   One cannot live by bread alone.
   ---
   Simple pleasures are best.
   =====

   =====
   Clothes make the man.
   ---
   Never judge a book by its' cover.
   =====

   =====
   No man is an island.
   ---
   If you want a job done right, do it yourself.
   =====

   =====
   A stitch in time saves nine.
   ---
   Haste makes waste.
   =====

   =====
   The only thing constant is change.
   ---
   The more things change, the more they stay the
same.
   =====

   =====
   Ignorance is bliss.
   ---
   Knowledge is power.
   =====

   =====
   The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
   ---
   The highest nail gets the hammer.
   =====

   =====
   The early bird gets the worm.
   ---
   You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their
backs.
   =====

   =====
   The best things in life are free.
   ---
   You get what you pay for.
   =====

   =====
   Money is the root of all evil.
   ---
   Money makes the world go 'round.
   =====

   =====
   Every cloud has a silver lining.
   ---
   When it rains, it pours.
   =====

   =====
   Never send a boy to do a man's job.
   ---
   The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
   =====

   =====
   Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names
will never hurt me.
   ---
   The pen is mightier than the sword.
   =====

   =====
   What you see is what you get.
   ---
   You are only looking at the tip of the iceberg.
   =====

   =====
   Turn the other cheek.
   ---