[thechat] protests?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Mar 21 05:00:01 CST 2003

At 16:17 21/03/2003 +0530, Madhu Menon wrote:

>I believe in peaceful protest, but aren't there any laws to prevent
>protestors from blocking traffic? How does getting someone late for work
>teach the government a lesson?

   Well, in most vote-the-government-in countries (there's a word for that,
and it's not democracy, but I can't remember what it is), the only way to
teach the government anything is not to elect them next time, and that
gives them a few years to do pretty much whatever they want.

   Further, in this case, the government as such of the US is not really
responsible - it's George Bush Jr who's the sole instigator, and there's
even less the normal folks in the street can do to deal with a rogue
administrator, since voting doesn't seem to work, particularly in the US'
strange election system.

   So about the only non-violent thing you can do that has an actual effect
is to make an impact on taxes, by reducing the amount of business conducted.

   Although I doubt many of the protestors have thought that far through
it; they're almost certainly still working on the notion that large enough,
and noticable enough demonstrations will change Bush's mind. I'm guessing
it's noticable they're going for, but I think there are better ways to do it.

   Right now, I think it'd be great to put Bush and Saddam in a medium-size
room, and tell them that only one comes out alive. And then shoot whoever
comes out.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365701