[thechat] protests?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Mar 21 11:50:08 CST 2003

Ken Kogler wrote:
>> they're almost certainly still working on the notion that
>> large enough, and noticeable enough demonstrations will change Bush's
>> mind. I'm guessing it's noticeable they're going for, but I think
>> there are better ways to do it.
>
> Is that was these protests are supposed to accomplish? Bush is just
> going to look at the TV one day, and say "oh, I didn't know. Shit." and
> just call all out troops back?

It would be nice, but I don't expect that to happen.  If you look at
Vietnam though, I think the government finally decided that the deaths
abroad and the protest and disruption at home just weren't worth it
anymore.  And so they said, "we're out of here".

> I understand that people are looking to voice their opinions, but can
> these protests really be viewed as a force for change, or are they just
> people venting their frustration?

Certainly venting their frustration, but I think it can be a force for
change.  As a member of the Gen X slacker demographic, I can tell you
that one of the worst problems our country has is apathy.  Ennui derived
of a perception that we are unable to affect meaningful change.
Government, business, and media have become seemingly all-powerful
forces in our society and its caused a lot of people to simply give up
on trying.  What good is it going to do when you don't run a paper,
don't have millions of dollars to give to politicians?  Your one vote
out of millions doesn't count in any statistically significant way.  The
leadership of the country understands and uses this malaise to its
advantage.

The great thing about these protests is that people are caring enough
about something, being informed enough about an issue, that they are
shaking off the malaise and going out and doing *something*.  The
government may not care that they are doing it.  And that appears to be
pissing off a large segment of the population.  That's a good thing.
Getting the people of the country all riled up is the best thing that
can happen to a democracy.  It makes them pay attention.  And it makes
them focus on the government with a critical eye.  And by breaking up
daily the daily routine of business as usual, it sends a message that
there are still people in this country outside the corridors of congress
that are paying attention and give a shit.

The government ought to be wary of the populace and have a bit of fear
in their hearts.  It keeps them in line and forms necessary checks and
balances on the government.  As Thomas Jefferson put it "I hold it that
a little rebellion now and then is a good thing."  We've lost a lot of
the rebellion instinct in the United States.  I think its a shame.

After Shay's Rebellion in 1786, Jefferson wrote to Madison:

Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments
on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of
this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their
punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a
medicine necessary for the sound health of government.

Hopefully rebellions and protests over undignified and shameful acts of
government will allow us to regain a bit of the type of democracy
Jefferson favored.  We shall see.

Judah