[thechat] protests?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Mar 21 16:24:27 CST 2003

I'm aware that that the number of total arrests is in the thousands, I
used "hundreds" in my statement "Hundreds of people in various US
cities have been arrested for legally assembling and asserting their
First Amendment rights in an orderly and peaceful manner" because I
don't know what proportion of those arrested were arrested for breaking
the law, or for just being there.

Examples are in Chicago, where police trapped groups of hundreds of
people, some of whom may have been breaking the law, others of whom
weren't, and arrested them wholesale.

In SF, police beat a protester with a baby on his shoulders (after
grabbing the baby) after he asked his wife to toss him the baby bottle.
Apparently there is video of this.

In DC earlier this week, people were arrested for refusing to leave a
public park because of a new ordinance that says park police can close
the park if there's more than 25 people in it: in other words, your are
limited in exercising free speech in as a group is limited in that park
at the whim of the park authorities.

Regarding the thought that tying up traffic, etc isn't productive: the
point is to make a disruption. If you don't you're just preaching to
the converted, which is great, but making a statement to non-converts
and forcing people generally in the anti-wart court fully into it is
great.

The Minneapolis police actually helped us do this yesterday: we had a
permit to assemble outside of the Federal Building, but not to march:
yet the crowd of 2500 spontaneously marched off into downtown rush hour
traffic after the someone suggested it on the PA system. What happened
afterwards was confusing, but later I found out that the police held
back the people in front until they got five squad cars to lead ... six
blocks of people walking through rush hour, through the south of
downtown and back to the Federal Building, at which point an additional
2500 people had joined the group. I myself saw a few people get out of
cars that were being held up to join; plus others coming out of office
buildings ... it was very cool.

--
vanity project in progress:
<http://goZz.com/presents/aristotle/>