[thechat] The arrogance of power

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Mar 21 16:58:56 CST 2003

Senator Robert Byrd, addressing Congress on March 19:

I believe in this beautiful country. I have studied its roots and
gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution. I have marveled
at the wisdom of its founders and framers. Generation after generation
of Americans has understood the lofty ideals that underlie our great
Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their sacrifice and their
strength.

But, today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent
months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America one of
strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed.
Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our
intentions are questioned.

Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand
obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam
Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves. We proclaim a new doctrine
of preemption which is understood by few and feared by many. We say that
the United States has the right to turn its firepower on any corner of
the globe which might be suspect in the war on terrorism. We assert that
right without the sanction of any international body. As a result, the
world has become a much more dangerous place.

Full text of the speech at: