[thechat] Happy Deaths

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Fri Mar 21 23:16:43 CST 2003

From: "abbey"

| On Fri March 21 2003 1:26 pm, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
| > Many reports
| > in our newspapers are suggesting that Bush junior is fighting against
Iraq
| > on religious grounds though oil would be a bonus. Bush wants a
completion
| > of Greater Israel Mission.
|
| The only reason I'm responding to this is because Syed says this is based
on
| newspaper reports in his country. That makes me sad that my western
| civilization is seen in such a way.

As a member of the western civilization I don't agreed with Syed, but I
think it is extremely healthy for us "westerners" and our arrogant ways of
living to have someone remind us that there are other ways of thinking.

Here "we" sit and judge "them" for being stupid trying to do what
generations upon generations have succeeded doing before them - to go to
America and try living the American dream - many of them illegaly.

Western civilization is just one of many civilizations in the world and
just as we don't understand the ones that have different groundrules from
ours that lack of understanding can easily be reversed. We must remember to
respect them anyhow, and remember that they have equal rights to their
rules and opinions as we have to ours, however different they are.

| Syed, many call you a troll, and in some ways, I believe it too. But, it
still
| worries me that you are probably not alone, that these *newspapers*
really
| are printing these things. Where they get their sources, I have no idea,
but
| I am deeply saddened and disappointed.

Why shouldn't those newspapers write these things? Is this any different
from what our newspapers and our governments are saying about "them",
'specially after the beginning of this war. Is our lobbyism any better than
theirs in a war fought on primetime TV.

From: "Hugh Blair"

| Syed, can you read? Even a little? She said "immigrant", not visitor.
| There's a difference. Or can you tell that?

I for one am thankful for Syed airing his opinion here. I can't say I've
ever agreed with him, but I feel grateful for being allowed a sneak peek
into thoughts from a culture so different from ours that I can hardly find
any resemblance.

But let us all remember that whatever we think of each other's opinions we
never deserve to be put down as a worse person for having them. Let's
question the opinion, not the person. I don't judge you as anything but a
nice guy Hugh, even though I strongly disagree with your opinion at times,
and I certainly won't call you stupid for having an opinion different from
mine, I ask only that you do the same.

And, yes I know that reading Syed's mail can often get you extremely
frustrated, I've been there myself. It took a while understanding that his
culture is just that different from "ours" and maybe it emphasizes that
even though we are spread globally, maybe we, the majority of evolters, are
more alike than we think, wherever we are, we adjust more easily with those
behaving "westernly" than those showing their albeit extremely different
culture.

peace and luuuuuurrrrvvvv
elfur