[thechat] protests?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Mon Mar 24 06:53:57 CST 2003

At 17:16 24/03/2003 +0530, Madhu Menon wrote:
>At 04:55 PM 24-03-03, Drew Shiel wrote:
>>   If it's allowed for one side, it MUST be allowed for the other ... Or
>> am I missing something here?
>
>Yes.
>
>The world doesn't work that way. If I kill your [relative], you don't get
>an automatic right to kill my [relative]. The law doesn't accept that as a
>defence.

   No, that doesn't carry, because nobody would say that your killing of my
relative is OK. Whereas it's being held as OK to attack Iraq.

>  Protesting against something by doing exactly what you accuse the other
> side of doing isn't terribly intelligent.

   Well, no, but I'm not bombing the White House, nor are the other
demonstrators.

>There are some trade-offs you make in a democracy. You don't approve of
>Bush's actions? Vote him out in the next election. Until then, he remains
>the elected leader of the nation, even if the system that elected him
>sucks. That democratic system gives him more power than you. (Fix the
>system too, btw.)

   Yeah, with you there, but I have no power over Bush, not being a voting
American. Yet he can do what he wants in the world I live in.

>Preaching concern for the lives of people in Iraq by showing no concern
>for those in your own neighbourhood isn't a great strategy. How are you
>any different from Bush and co.? And if you are no different (which you
>might be thinking on arguing), why should I listen to you instead of Bush?

   Because (hypothetically, I haven't been in any traffic stopping
protests), I'm not killing people, I'm slowing traffic.

>>  No, you don't. Which is kind of sad, really. It'd be a more honourable
>> way of life...
>
>Probably not, because the world is full of nuts. When someone brings up
>"Jewish conspiracy" or "the aliens are landing" or "John Edward
>communicates with the dead", I'm so glad I don't have to listen.

   Hm. You don't have to *heed*. I try to always *listen*.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365701