[thechat] protests?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Mar 24 23:47:15 CST 2003

deacon b. wrote:
> The electoral college serves a very valid purpose - it
> makes it a lot more *certain* who lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue. Better the guy who's second-
> best than nobody at all!

That's not why the electoral college was created at all.  It was created
as a compromise between individual/states rights folks and federalists.
  So "the people" get to vote for electors who are presumably wealthy,
wise, and deliberative and then the electors get to actually do the
tough job of electing a president.  The electoral college was mostly
about moderating the influence of the average joe on the street.

> I voted for Bush. It was a close call, but Republicans
> are against running a deficit, are against expanding
> the government, and there's never been a war
> started in a Republican administration. Who was I to
> know that Bush really was a Democrat?

To note:
Republican's started the Spanish-American War and the 1st Gulf War.  The
Japanese started the Second World War (as far as US involvement goes).

Reagan and his supply side economics were also responsible for the
largest ballooning of the federal deficit in history up until this
administration.  The Reagan and Bush I administrations were also
directly responsible for the greatest expansion of government intrusion
into private behavior, known as the War On Drugs.

Democrats have done plenty of stupid shit while in office.  But nobody
gets off claiming that Republicans are all about smaller government and
fiscal responsibility.  That's just laughable.

Judah