[thechat] A balance of opinion.

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Tue Mar 25 07:34:50 CST 2003

david wrote:

> And, since I've come to generally respect your opinion,
> I'd like to know *why* you find yourself in the pro-war camp
> (as I'm assuming you do). I don't promise to try to agree with
> you, but I promise not to jump up and down on your opinion. :)

thanks david

i am for the war because i believe that diplomacy had exhausted
the avenues for dealing with that maniac

when i was in my late teens, the war in vietnam was at its peak

had i been living in the states and not in canada, i am certain
beyond doubt that i would have gone

but i was for that war too

(not enough to volunteer -- i may be crazy, but i'm not stupid)

i guess you had to be around then, and i don't know if i can
convey fully the prevailing mood, but there was genuine concern
about the spread of communism, and i was quite happy that america
was willing to take a stand and try to stop it

not that there's anything wrong with communism, oh no, it is
a glorious system, proven to enoble the people and generally
enhance the quality of life  </sarcasm>

anyhow, i was also in favour of the '91 gulf war against iraq,
and i don't see how this one's all that much different

and no, i'm not interested in having people try to explain to me
why they think it is

you spoke of trolling, david, and while i agree that jerome's
"war protesters, please shut up" was rather blatant, there have
been trolls aplenty on this list with regard to the war, and
it's all i can do not to respond

which is what we're supposed to do with trolls, right?

anyhow, here's one example:

  "Regarding the thought that tying up traffic, etc isn't
   productive: the point is to make a disruption. If you don't
   you're just preaching to the converted, which is great, but
   making a statement to non-converts and forcing people generally
   in the anti-war court fully into it is great."

here we have someone promoting civil disobedience, apparently in
the belief that the end (ending the war) justifies the means

civil disobedience is wrong, and statements like that are trolls too

what if i were to respond "you are a hypocrite; use diplomacy"

what do you think the response would be?

i think the response would be vehement and nasty

i will not go so far as to tell people with opinions like this
to "please shut up" because i am mature enough to just skip over
their opinions when i detect the rabidity of ideals gone astray

besides, the anti-war protesters may also feel that they have
exhausted all avenues of diplomacy

and hey, we all know how that feels, eh?

ironic, isn't it

but i say to them: if you believe the war is wrong, then please
do not commit the same sins yourself in your protests

rudy