[thechat] supporting the troops

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Mar 25 13:22:33 CST 2003

I see how torn up military families are right now.   It's heart-wrenching.

I grew up in logging country.  I know and support loggers as human
beings.  They need to survive, just like me.   However, I always
believed in seeing the big big picture, at the long term picture, and
thinking creatively.  I did not, never did, and never will support
timber companies using loggers to clear-cut our last remaining old
growth forests, using pesticides to suppress unprofitable natural
succession, or massacring native animals like porcupines to increase
yield of profitable timber.

I support humans' right to a quality life.   I do not, never will
support greed.  It only harms.  Greed is never satisfied.

And I do not support this "war."

I have heard more than one Vietnam Vet say "support your troops"
should not be used as code for "support the war." That is the
government manipulating you.  Taking your human emotion, your
morality,  and using it to support their desires.

Or there's the "support your troops and president" line you hear.
How many wonder deep down if the US president is really crazy?  How
have wondered about  his capacity to do his job?  You don't say it,
but you do wonder, don't you?  We are told to "support the troops.'
How far shall we carry our support?  As long as "we're winning"?
Shall we hang tough all the way to the "finish line"?  -- where is
that finish line?

Erika