[thechat] When is it time for war?

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Mar 25 21:00:17 CST 2003

> > From: Bill Haenel
> > When is war justified?

> From: John Handelaar
> ...there's no evidence...
> ...If there were, the UN Security Council would have
> backed this action.

> From: Erik Mattheis
> When the UN Security Council authorizes it. Justification...
> ...I trust their judgment based on the track record of the UN.

What if the UN is wrong? They're really just a group of equally human
representatives from equally human countries. They can make mistakes,
and no doubt have.

Now this goes both ways, right? What if they authorize action and
they're wrong? What if they don't authorize action and they're wrong? As
an international organization, the UN is subject to many, many
complicated influences from all about the globe. All of which I cannot
even begin to comprehend. None of which should be assumed to be
legitimate or innocent, no matter which country is in question.

Isn't it possible that an entire group of intelligent people can be
misled or misguided, by one or more related or unrelated influences? If
the answer is yes, doesn't that possibility apply to the UN? Why would
we assume that it is impossible for some or even most of the UN members
to have impure or misguided motives?

So is it truly wise for all world citizens to have blind faith in the
UN? Isn't that kind of like American citizens having blind faith in the
US Congress? Personally, I don't trust any of them - UNSC or US
Congress.

BH