[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 00:51:37 CST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Hugh Blair wrote:

> Uh, you just described the current Iraq. And about "an international
> organization of some sort", would you mean the UN? Been there, done
> that, waited for years for their useless non-action. So what would
> *you* do if some country was:
>
> "out of control"
> "putting innocents (or "political prisoners") into labor/death camps"
> "attacking other countries in an unprovoked manner"
> and no "international organization of some sort" was able or willing
> to do anything about it. This is a serious question, now what would
> you do? Whether I agree or not, the US Gov thinks it's now up to
> them to "address the issue."

As opposed to 20-30 years ago when the US govt thought it was up to them
to address the issue by... selling them arms knowing they were to be used
against their own population.

Yes, Saddam is a bloody, brutal dictator. And the organisations who told
you so are the ones who are protesting about the war.

We were here first. Stop pretending that anti-war protesters are
pro-Saddam. It so doesn't add up that it's not even slightly funny.

Cheers
Martin