[thechat] A balance of opinion. - Iran

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Mar 26 15:57:38 CST 2003

From: "Tara Cleveland"

> Stoning deaths are not
> humane. I know that the North American media plays up the occurrence of this
> type of punishment, but the fact that it's legal in some parts of the world
> is abhorrent to me. I don't think it's "equal" or promotes "freedom".
> Divorce laws in Iran are also not equal.

Stoning to death is severe. But can't be considered inhumane. There are some
certain points of Islamic law where this type of punishment is given to the
criminal WITHOUT any discrimination of gender. But Islamic law is fully applied
then such punishments will be very scarce. FYI, such punishments are mostly for
both men and women who are married and are engaged in sex out of marriage. This
punishment is for rapists too. This punishment is NOT for women only.

In Islam, woman is NOT allowed to divorce her husband. You cannot blame any
country for this. Islam gives its own reasons for this law. I can tell you some
of them if you want.
A woman can get divorce from his husband through court. If a husband tries to
oppressively posses his wife without her will and denies court orders to divorce
her then, court can declare the woman divorced and she'll be free to marry to
somebody else after at least three months. This kind of declaration from court
is called Khulla'a.

> I think that men should be responsible enough to control
> their own lust...

I have been in conflict with some member(s) of this list on the same kind of
matter. According to my knowledge, man's lust is more violent than that of a
woman, that's why Islam requires women to secure themselves with Hijab.

--
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/