[thechat] A balance of opinion. - Iran

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Mar 26 16:13:40 CST 2003

At 03:27 AM 27-03-03, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

>Stoning to death is severe. But can't be considered inhumane.

Go tell the stoned person that. :(
Slow, painful, humiliating death isn't exactly 'humane' in my book; it's
barbaric.

But hey, if it can provide some community participation, it can be fun, no?

>FYI, such punishments are mostly for
>both men and women who are married and are engaged in sex out of marriage.

<sarcasm> Oh what a heinous crime! </sarcasm>

Sorry, I find that deplorable.

(And as I understand it, *any* sex out of marriage qualifies. You don't
have to be married for that.)

>This punishment is NOT for women only.

When was the last time a man was stoned for this "crime"?

>According to my knowledge, man's lust is more violent than that of a
>woman

Which man's? All men? As I've said earlier, there are plenty of uncovered
women in this world, and I don't see a raping epidemic yet. I agree that it
is the right of women to wear what they want, but let's not spin
pseudo-scientific theories, eh?

Regards,

Madhu