[thechat] Welcome to the Free World and have a nice day!

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Mar 26 19:25:33 CST 2003

>At 03:17 AM 27-03-03, Erika Meyer wrote:
>
>>BTW, my daughter went to a Ananda Margda Hindu-ish pre-school
>
>Why that one of all?

because I was actually pro-vegetarian as most preschools consider
healthy meals to be "chicken nuggets and fries" or "hot dog and tater
tots" etc.  and also they like to give kids a lot of sweets in
mainstream schools.

I like my meat to be free-range or at least hormone and nitrite-free.
I like to limit sweets.  It's really hard to find vegetarian or
healthy-meal preschools.

They did yoga at circle time, which the kids really enjoy, they sang
prayers of gratitude before eating, which I think is a nice thing to
do, and the overall spiritual "respect the earth" philosophy is
relatively harmonic with Indigenous views.  They had an organic
garden.  I don't have a problem with any of those things...

I truly don't understand the full extent of whatever they were doing
there in terms of religion.  I disagreed about certain food-related
concepts.  But they didn't push anything too hard.

her next school was Catholic... that one was a bit more indoctrinating.

Erika