[thechat] A balance of opinion. - Iran

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Mar 27 07:41:29 CST 2003

Deke note:

>>According to the BLS, the average miner in the US makes $49,000 per year in
>>salary, not including overtime, bonuses and benefits. I can hire web developers
>>for $8 an hour here in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where unemployment is running
>>fairly low.

Hi Deke,

Sorry - I got busy yesterday ... where were we?  Ah, okay ... you were
making a good point that I had missed your US focus and was speaking
from a global perspective in bringing up crap like South African gold
mine workers and Asian shoe factory workers ... point taken - I musta
missed the "US" part of it. <shrug />

On the other hand, comparing US figures to anecdotal Lancaster, PA info
is the same mistake -- comparisons from non-congruent geographies - so
we're gonna have to toss that out too.  Bummer about the web guys in
Lancaster, they could make more coming here and working in an Eckerds or
CVS. [Or even working in the mines around Lancaster - Careerbuilder.com
didn't have figures for 'regular miners', but they do show mine inspectors
in Lancaster, PA making an average of $43,350 - with a low (17th percentile)
of $27,636 and a high (67th percentile) of $67,387.  Gee - I hope the
inspectors don't get pissed - what with the regular miners making more than
them and all ... but Lancaster is a depressed area ... so it might be ok.]

>>I don't know of any stockbrokers who are paid a wage. If they don't make any
>>sales, they get *zilch*.

Ah! Thats anecdotal.  I can counter in kind.  I do.  I've had friends with
their Series 7 license who were on full salary.

OTOH, we could take this the other way and I could note that many unskilled
laborers in (for example) construction or lawn care work under a
"no work-ee, no pay-ee" system.  If it rains too hard they can't work ...
and they don't get paid.

>>And I don't know of any running shoe factories in the US,

I think there still is one - (Doesn't New Balance or someone still have
a factory in New England?) - but yeah, I was thinking Asia.

> Where firemen make more than pro golfers? Masterlink club services
>says $29,381 for the average golf pro. Latest figures I can find for
>firefighters from the Bureau of Labor Statistics is 1995, which showed
>a mean of $677/week, which amounts to $35,204.

Masterlink club services is a golf course management company - I couldn't
find the numbers you noted but I'm wondering if that is the average of
what -they- pay for a golf pro, or the average salary for all golf pros.
[When I wrote I was thinking of Gary Player (a noted pro golfer who, I
suspect, did rather better than $29,381 a year over his career), and his
father - who, I understand, was a rather poor worker in the SA gold mines.]

Sorry - my "evidence" here is also anecdotal.  The 3 or 4 club pros I've
met, (not touring pros), all wore the kinds of clothes and jewelry, drove
the kinds of new luxury cars, and lived in large homes in nice neighborhoods
that you don't get on $29k a year.  But hey - I don't know their personal
circumstances ... they could well have inherited the money from parent who
got rich working in high paying jobs digging ditches and mowing lawns!  ;-P

{Side Note - Summary statistics are a funny thing.  Without a full and
complete knowledge of the underlying methodology it's hard to be sure that
they actually mean what they purport to mean. [e.g. Would a government
figure for 'web workers' actually cover people with job titles like
"Administrative Assistant", "Business Analyst", or "IT - Project Lead"
who may actually spend 100% of their time dealing with web content and
construction? It may or may not - without understanding the construction
of the numbers you can't really know what they mean.]}

Overall -- I have to say my initial reaction to the 'blue collar folks
are better off than white collar folks in the US' was rather negative.
(Which may well be sour grapes - me being a white collar worker and all
... actually more of a 'Royal Stewart' collar than white today ... but
you know what I mean.)

>From a historical perspective, my view is justified ... and parents were
'right' in pushing their kids to go to college to get a 'better life'.

The concept being that sure, fresh out of high school, you'll make more
working in the mill (or the mines), than going to college ... but fifteen
year down the road the investment in time would pay off - financially.

But times change.  Maybe that ain't true anymore.  I'm thinking that to
make a 'determination' once way or the other for this point, (the 'blue
collar is better' thing), you'd have to be able to demonstrate that the
accelerating turbulence of down-sizing, right-sizing, outsource-sizing,
and fall-down-go-boom-sizing of companies in today's economy is at a high
enough pace that we actually have a case of the blue collar tortoise
financially outperforming the white collar rabbit:

e.g.

White collar earning by year -- 60k, 0k, 45k, 50k, 55k, 60k, 0k, 45k, ...

Blue collar earning by year -- 49k, 49k, 49k, 49k, 49k, 50k, 50k, 50k, ...

At _some_ rate of churn steady *is* better.  Are we there yet?

RonL.