[thechat] Global lightbulbs

deacon b. web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Mar 27 17:39:03 CST 2003

> What would happen if you took a light bulb from North America and
> screwed it into a British fixture and turned it on?

You can't screw it into a British fixture. The base is
different.

> Would it explode? Would it work? Would it just burn out?

Assuming that you took a US fixture to Great Britain
and wired it in, so that you *could* physically screw
in a light bulb, it would produce a very bluish light, a
very bright light, and would not last very long.

They commonly use 240 volts; we commonly use
120 volts.

If you run a bulb at higher voltage, you get a bluer
light from it, and a significantly reduced lifespan.

If you run a lightbulb at lower voltage, you get a
redder light from it, and a significantly increased
lifespan. The "long-life" lightbulbs are just bulbs
designed for slightly higher voltage.

They make 240 volt lightbulbs over here; when I
was in 4-H, I had to get one in order to make a
circuit tester that would last when used with 208
(three-phase) and 240 volt circuits.  Some of my
friends didn't go to the trouble, and it turned out that
their testers didn't immediately go kaput.

They also make 12-volt and 24-volt bulbs intended
for use with battery power. If you use 12-volt bulbs
on a regular 120-volt circuit, it's hardly worth the
effort of changing them, they burn out so fast.

Of course, the 4-for-a-buck bulbs I've been getting
at the dollar store seem to burn out really fast, too.
I've been thinking about buying up old 14" monitors
and using *them* to light up the house....

deke

--

RIP Adam Osborne, 1939-2003
And 23 pounds of thanks!