[thechat] al-jazeera.com and NSI

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 22:39:36 CST 2003

Read this in an article on "Technology News from
Reuters Internet Report":

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=582&e=1&cid=582&u=/nm/20030327/wr_nm/media_aljazeera_internet_dc

The hacker was able to gain control of the domain
name by asking domain seller Network Solutions Inc.
(Nasdaq:NSOL - news) for the account password on
official al-Jazeera stationery, said an industry
source speaking on condition of anonymity.

BLITZED WITH MEANINGLESS DATA

A spokesman for Network Solutions' parent company
declined to comment on how the hacker was able to
hijack the domain name, but said the company had
fixed the problem and was trying to track the
impostor down.

"We followed our procedures, in this particular
instance someone was able to get around those
procedures," said Brian O'Shaughnessy, a spokesman
for Internet security firm VeriSign Inc (Nasdaq:VRSN -
news).