[thechat] Tips on meeting a UK Relative for the first time

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 04:42:48 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Quackamoe wrote:

Having just visited friends in the US (Hi Marlene, Ron & Bob!), I think I
have some experience here.

> Also, I'm sure there are things that Americans say to
> UK friends and relatives that are anywhere from minor
> annoyances to utterly intolerable. Let's make a list.
>
> Things not to say:
>
>    cheerio hip hup and all that rot
>    stiff upper lip

Agreed

>    the colonies

Acceptable as long as you're referring to North America

>    how was the flight across the pond?

Extremely appropriate, useful smalltalk (although I'd drop the "across the
pond" bit). Also:
How is the weather in Chorley at the moment?

> Y'know, that kind of stuff. OTH, is there anything that we Yanks do that
> is particularly charming or endearing?

Can't speak for your relatives, but making coffee, serving beer/
margueritas/wine, cooing over my son:
http://easyweb.co.uk/Members/martin/photos/texas/Image20.html
and being respectful over people who have just endured a long flight and
are now very jet-lagged all work for me :-)

Cheers
Martin