[thechat] We love gays in Texas!

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Fri Mar 28 18:05:49 CST 2003

> My favorite bit from this Supreme Court argument:
>
> Smith says these laws say "you can't have sexual activity at all" if you
> are gay and Scalia objects: "They just say you can't have sexual
> intimacy with a person of the same sex."
>
> I'm glad that Scalia has this sex thing all straightened out (pun
> intentional)

<quote>

Scalia insists that a liberty interest (under the fundamental-rights theory)
needs to be "deeply rooted in tradition," and the mere fact that some of
those state anti-gay laws have since been repealed doesn't guarantee a
fundamental right.

</quote>

Dunno if there's much that's more "deeply rooted in tradition" for male
homosexual couples than sodomy. And just in case you weren't sure that
Scalia's not just an asshole, but a moron, too:

<quote>

"It's conceded by the state of Texas that married couples can't be regulated
in their private sexual decisions," says Smith. To which Scalia rejoins,
"They may have conceded it, but I haven't."

</quote>

Which means, of course, that he's decided it's his job to *make* law, not
interpret it. I think someone's a little unclear on his own job description.

Don't get me started on the rest of the Supreme Court. I can't believe that
we're stuck with not only a shitty (and annoying) Executive branch, *and* a
Legislative branch that's falling all over itself to approve the stupid
decisions of the President, but *also* a Judicial branch that is now bent on
being flagrantly unconstitutional -- and dumb, too.

Yow! Guess this one pissed me off a bit. Sorry.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net