[thechat] War Essentials

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Mar 28 22:19:38 CST 2003

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 08:43 PM, Sean wrote:
> PS.  Before you come back with anything Israel has done--no, Israel is
> not
> perfect and not beyond approach.  But see those folks with the ARMY
> fatigues
> carry guns out in the open?  See the ARMY check points manned by the
> ARMY?
> Yeah, that's the Israeli ARMY.  So if anyone wants to make war with
> Israel,
> they can attack the ARMY!

I hesitate to respond, but I think you're buying into something that
will someday be known as one of Mankind's biggest follies: saying your
superior firepower makes your fight just and fair ... and when the
militarily inferiority of your opponent forces them to use the only
tactics they have, they're known as "evil terrorists".  Both sides are
wrong, as they're using their hands instead of their heads to try to
solve a territorial dispute. Er, I correct myself, it's stupider than a
territorial dispute: it's a family feud.  Jews, Christians and Muslims
all claim to be descendants of Abraham. Evidently Abraham didn't come
up with a very good will, so this is yet another thing we can blame on
lawyers.

I'm trying to be humorous here so don't get mad ... but  I did some
search and replace of some nouns in your preemptive rebuttal, and it
turns out to be really funny:

Before you come back with anything America has done--no, America is not
perfect and not beyond approach.  But see those folks in the ARMY carry
guns out in the open?  See the ARMY pushing CHEROKEE INDIANS out of
their ANCESTRAL HOME onto the TRAIL OF TEARS? Yeah, that's ANDREW
JACKSON'S ARMY.  So if any of those Cherokees wanted to stay on their
SACRED LAND, they can attack the ARMY!  (I know, what a concept.)  If
the Cherokees have a problem with their land being stolen so it could
be mined for gold, they should just BE KILLED BY THE ARMY.

Palestinians throw rocks and make missiles in their garages (if by
"missile" you mean something that kinda launches in a general direction
and may or may not explode at some random time) ... Israel has a
nuclear arsenal and everything downwards. And Israel whimsically
bulldozes over houses if they happen to think the land it's built on
would be better put to use as a buffer zone. The concept is identical
to the Trail of Tears: a territorial dispute that's being settled on
the terms of the party with vastly superior firepower and nothing else.

--
-/erik/

Anti-invasion activism ideas:
<http://shockingelk.com/>

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginnings of all wars.
-Franklin Roosevelt

If the only thing we still have to fear is fear itself, there is more
than enough to go around.
- R.C. Longworth