[thechat] reporter fired for reporting

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 31 10:13:29 CST 2003

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:43 AM, Madhu Menon wrote:
> "IT WAS wrong for Mr. Arnett to grant an interview to state controlled
> Iraqi TV — especially at a time of war — and it was wrong for him to
> discuss his personal observations and opinions in that interview," NBC
> News President Neal Shapiro said in a statement. "Therefore, Peter
> Arnett will no longer be reporting for NBC News and MSNBC."

That's hilarious! Rephrased: "Iraq cannot exercise freedom of the press
and free speech until the US has bombed and slaughtered them into a
fully liberated state.

Curiously, just hours before firing him, NBC issued a statement of
support:

NBC issued a statement of support for Arnett, saying, "his remarks were
  analytical in nature and were not intended to be anything more." The
statement also said "the impromptu interview with Iraqi TV was done as
a professional courtesy."

SOURCE: San Francisco Chronicle Monday, March 31, 2003
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/03/31/MN249533.DTL

--
-/erik/

Anti-invasion activism ideas:
<http://shockingelk.com/>

If the only thing we still have to fear is fear itself, there is more
than enough to go around.
- R.C. Longworth

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginnings of all wars.
-Franklin Roosevelt