[thechat] SARS

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 10:33:57 CST 2003

> Worldwide, there are 1550 cases of SARS. So far 55 people have died.
> That's a 3.5 percent mortality rate.
>
> I haven't read much about it, but I would imagine many or
> most the 3.5%
> were people with weak immune systems.
>
> Eat your veggies, get regular exercise and try not to worry too much.

unless you happen to be a nurse or a doctor - a fair number of the
fatalities being amongst those treating the infected.  including Carlo
Urbani, the Italian doctor who first identified the outbreak who was 46.

They now believe it may be an airborne disease rather than contact
contagious as first thought, with up to 14 days between exposure and
contracting the disease.

http://tinyurl.com/8io5
http://tinyurl.com/8ioi