[thechat] reporter fired for reporting

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 15:54:18 CST 2003

For clarification:

If Peter Arnett was in Baghdad then by definition he's
not 'embedded' with US military people.

Ejecting a reporter purely for giving an interview to
Iraqi TV is, I have to say as a broadcaster, pretty
low of $network.  *If* Erik's correct that they were
backing him up over this yesterday, then changed their
minds under pressure from the Pentagon, then $network
has no business calling itself a news operation.

A 'free' press does not cave in like that to *anyone*.

FWIW I don't really care what Arnett said, the point
stands.  Me, I'd have thought about sacking him for
describing Iraqi state media as helpful and fair-minded
(so untrue as to cast severe doubt on his journalistic
abilities (again)) - but I'd never give him support and
then withdraw it.  *Really* spineless behaviour.

jh (a former radio news editor).

PS:  There's an awful lot of casual slinging about of
the word 'bias' in relation to media coverage of the
conflict.  Bear in mind that *nearly* all media bias
is 'mechanical' - by which I mean that if you've got to
be on air in 3 minutes and the tape putting the 'other'
point of view to X hasn't arrived, then it can't go on
air this time.  Obviously there are some places where
deliberate bias exists - Fox News and any state-controlled
outlet are pretty transparent.  But for the most part,
they're not doing it on purpose.

I have a *serious* problem with this whole 'embedding'
thing, though.  As, evidently, do most UK outfits:  none
of them are running without independent teams in addition
to the ones with the armed forces.  Apparently the same
is not true of US networks, but then over here we spend
real money on news coverage.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8459 4923       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com