[thechat] reporter fired for reporting

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Mon Mar 31 15:10:23 CST 2003

John Handelaar wrote:
> I have a *serious* problem with this whole 'embedding'
> thing, though.  As, evidently, do most UK outfits:  none
> of them are running without independent teams in addition
> to the ones with the armed forces.

The CBC has refused to be embedded (thank goodness) at all. I actually heard
on CBC an anchorperson and a bunch of analysts talking about how terrible it
was and how it really throws journalistic ethics out the window. They were
joking about how "embedded with the military" sounds so much like "in bed
with the military". I thought to myself, "well, at least some of the
journalists remember what they learned in journalism school" (says the
j-school dropout).

Regards,
Tara