[thechat] weird mail hiccup

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Apr 2 10:33:03 CST 2003

hi gang:

this morning I saw the strangest thing happen in my mail client
(mozilla), I downloaded last night's mails... initially, I only recieved
half of them (i knew some were missing since i send things to myself
from home to work via mail).

when I downloaded the rest, they came in all scrambled, the message body
did not match the subject and sender, some messages were concatenated (a
la digest) including contents from different lists into a single message
body, and other messages came in blank.

it smelled like a virus to me, but i'm quite protected both on the mail
server side of things and in my local machine. i scanned for virus with
no results and it has worked correctly thereafter. support folks also
checked it and found nothing strange. i upgraded to version 1.3 of
mozilla just in case.

anyone have a clue about what happened?
can it happen again?

thanks