[thechat] Powell & Blunkett

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:13:23 CST 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: thechat-bounces at lists.evolt.org
> [mailto:thechat-bounces at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Hugh Blair
> Sent: 03 April 2003 15:41
> To: 'The evolt.org social mailing list '
> Subject: RE: [thechat] Powell & Blunkett
>
> Writing / links to support this?

[sigh.]

Lots of material is broadcast here (you won't find anyone
in the UK who hasn't seen this stated as fact by UK,
US and UN interviewees, repeatedly, for a week or more).

That's why it's treated as a given fact without the need
for explanation towards the end of this piece:

References to the overall attitude are made in this piece
(the newspaper in question isn't known for its left-leaning
outlook):

Reprinted from the Globe and Mail
http://www.corpwatch.org/news/PND.jsp?articleid=6228

And this piece refers to two things:  the opinion of much
of the UK government that Bush & Co are already planning
to break international law, and the citing of US sources
who are in no doubt whatsoever that those parties who were
opposed to the invasion (and who are now being asked to
bail it out), will be locked out of the spend:

"Hewitt has lobbied the USAID and may get subcontracting
contracts for British companies, some Australian firms
could be in line for work as they have troops in the
Gulf but the French won't get anything."
http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/03/28/sprj.irq.rebuild/

I'd dig out some more but I'm busy and so a couple of
things in the first page of Google News results will have
to do for now.  I'm sure others will offer more links.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8459 4923       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com