[thechat] Army chaplain offers baptisms, baths

deacon b. web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Apr 7 17:11:21 CDT 2003

> I have to agree there.  My pastor is fond of saying that if you
> want to talk to a hungry man about God, first give him food.  If
> you want to talk to a thirsty man, first give him water.  THEN
> you can talk to him about God.

Providing food and water for the hungry and thirsty
makes them appreciative, and allows them to
concentrate on your sales pitch - which is why the
time-share salesman gives you coffee and donuts
before he begins his sales pitch.

But if that's why you do it, it's a piss-poor religion.
You provide food and water for the hungry and
thirsty because it's the right thing to do.

> People like this give the rest of us a bad name.

But I can say the same thing about your pastor -
assuming you've presented him fairly.

If someone has a flat tire, do they automatically
need a valve job? Then why assume that someone
who has physical needs - food, water, shelter - is
lacking spiritually as well?  Do we assume that Merv
Griffin is holier than Mother Teresa was, because he
has more wealth?

If your religion is good enough, you don't have to sell
it like Amway. You can simply be a Coke machine.
Live your religion. If it serves you well, people will
notice your glow. People will punch your buttons to
the make a purchase, and that's when you deliver
the product.

deke

--

RIP Adam Osborne, 1939-2003